I'm not really feeling inspired today, but I found this at The Mirror in my Mind and it looked kinda fun so here we are!
a) Choose 10 of your all-time favorite books.
b) Take the first sentence of the first chapter(NOT the prologue) and make a list in your
c) Don't reveal the author or title of the book.
d) Now everyone try and guess!
Note: I should probably warn you--most of these books are not best-sellers or even well known at all. This was done semi-intentionally, as I'm pretty sure 99.9% of you have the first sentence of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone memorized word for word. So, if you can by some unlikely chance guess them ALL, you deserve a medal. Or a box of fudge. ;)
1. On a warm October night in Chicago, three deliveries were made in the same neighborhood.
2. "Gramma, is that man following us?"
3. That fool of a fairy Lucinda did not intend to lay a curse on me.
4. Almost choked with excitement and joy, Betsy Ray leaned against the railing as the S.S. Richmond sailed serenely into New York City's inner harbor.
5. I've heard it said that girls can't keep secrets.
6. The train began to move at last.
7. It happened just the other day, to a boy named Roger.
8. Once on a dark winter's day, when the yellow fog hung so thick and heavy in the streets of London that the lamps were lighted and the shop windows blazed with gas as they do at night, an odd-looking little girl sat in a cab with her father and was driven slowly through the big thoroughfares.
9. I still remember the day we celebrated Krishna Jayanthi, the festival of Lord Krishna's birth, at our home in Bombay.
10. Miri woke to the sleepy bleating of a goat.
Bonus: From the highest point of Watchtop Hill, Urchin could see the whole island.